Be part of changing the world by doing what you love! Come work for an organization located in vibrant Washington, D.C. that drives innovation and national collaboration in the realm of animal welfare. The Humane Rescue Alliance (HRA), a celebrated leader in animal welfare, seeks Shelter Veterinarians and a Community Medicine Veterinarian. Veterinarians receive a continuing education allowance and are eligible for a $5,000 annual student loan repayment stipend. HRA will pay for and help facilitate DC veterinary and controlled substance licenses and AVMA PLIT.
Be part of a mission-oriented team committed to changing the landscape of animal welfare. Donor support allows HRA to invest in up-to-date medical equipment including digital radiographs; IDEXX equipment for in-house CBC and chemistry panels; microscopes including one dual-head microscope; digital dental radiographs; ultrasound; and three surgical suites all for use in providing the best treatment to shelter and community animals.
HRA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package. Working for a 501(c)3 organization may help you qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program. Join a positive and rewarding work culture with excellent support. For more information on this exciting job opportunity, please visit www.humanerescuealliance.org/careers
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Provide all aspects of veterinary care to animals in shelter and HRA foster homes, including evaluation, case management, surgery, treatment decisions and direction of staff for following prescribed SOPs.
· Perform surgical sterilization of dogs, cats and rabbits, including pediatric and high volume spay/neuter.
· Perform other surgeries on shelter and individually owned animals as needed, such as mass removals, cystotomies, etc.
· Maintain an understanding of the programs of HRA and work collaboratively with all departments across the organization to ensure the highest level of service and care are provided to animals and people.
· Participate in consultation and oversight of the medical care of individual animals in the care of HRA including regular rounds and inspections with shelter staff.
· Work with the Humane Law Enforcement team to properly assess, document and treat animals who are part of law enforcement cases.
· Provide vaccinations and basic wellness care on site and in the community at subsidized free or low-cost clinics. Promote humane attitudes towards the care and treatment of animals through education and example.
· Assist in the development and implementation of goals, policies, and procedures for HRA; recommend changes in procedures as needed.
· Coordinate and collaborate with local veterinarians and clinic / shelter professionals to promote positive and productive relationships; participate in arranging for care at private veterinary hospitals as needed.
· Perform euthanasia according to established protocols including decision making requirements.
· Maintain medical records and controlled substance logs to standards of veterinary and sheltering practices and organizational SOPs; ensure that records are in order and complete and maintained in organizational systems; provide information in a manner understandable by adopters.
· Maintain up-to-date knowledge of shelter animal health protocols, surgical procedures and companion animal health issues.
· Build effective relationships through positive interaction and communication with the community, volunteers and staff.
· Perform other duties and special projects as assigned.
Qualifications and Requirements:
· Knowledge of and ability to provide general veterinary medicine and care.
· Knowledge of and ability to perform high-volume spay/neuter (20 spays/neuters per day).
· Knowledge of shelter medicine.
· Knowledge of and ability to perform surgical sterilization.
· Knowledge of animal breeds, behavior, shelter operations, and infectious disease control.
· Passion for the HRA mission, and for caring for all animals regardless of age, breed, temperament or species.
· Ability to work effectively, both independently and in a team environment, in an atmosphere of multiple projects, shifting priorities, and deadline pressures. Ability to be flexible, detail oriented and able to prioritize.
· A team-oriented and collaborative approach to work, with an ability to bring out the best in peers
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
· Proficient at use of computer programs including Microsoft Office programs, email, Internet and database management software to efficiently accomplish work.