Licensed Veterinary Technician (Part Time or Full Time); $2500 sign-on bonus
Nevada Humane Society
Location: Reno, Nevada
Type: Part Time or Full Time
Preferred Education: 2 Year Degree
Salary: $20-27 hourly DOE
Vet Tech / Nurse / Assistant
2 Year Degree
2 openings available.
If you are a licensed vet tech or vet-tech-in-training wanting to grow your skills, Nevada Humane Society would love to connect with you!
Because we are an open-admission shelter, you will see a variety of complex medical issues and cases while working at NHS, and you won't just see these cases: you will work on them! Our team works in a high-volume setting so we rely on our LVTs and VTITs and pride ourselves on giving them the opportunities to practice and use all the skills they've learned on a daily basis.
A fully onboarded LVT with NHS will assist vets on an average of 80 surgeries a week and run diagnostics and give diagnosis and treatment input on up to 20 cases on their non-surgery days.
Who You Are
· A successful hire for this role will love being not just busy but keeping pace with our accomplished vets.
· They will also have the mental focus to track a high-volume of cases.
· They will possess mental strength to cope with high-stress situations but have the heart to care for the feelings of our animal care staff.
· Finally, they will want to learn and are always ready to listen to new techniques and feedback from vets and other clinic staff alike.
Who We Are
Working at NHS means working for a team that is a little bit quirky but also committed to the mission and vision. It means always having someone around that wants to look at that cute photo of your cat lounging on your bed or of your happy, dirty pupper after playing at the dog park. We've also identified that, in addition to mental resilience, successful NHS staffers possess a sense of humor or wit and internal drive. For our clinic staff, it also means having the opportunity to serve the community, through caring and advocating primarily for shelter pets who have no owners instead of public pets.
About the Area
NHS is located in Reno, Nevada, The Biggest Little City in the World, and boasts a vibrant arts and dining scene and year-round outdoor activities: a mere 45-minutes away is Lake Tahoe and some of the country's best ski resorts, as well as myriad recreation opportunities including hiking, biking, golfing, and boating.
We offer a variety of standard benefits, of course, including:
medical, vision and dental
a $2500 sign-on or relocation bonus
PTO starting at two weeks a year
Annual $500 CE stipend
and opportunities for internal movement
· Must be a Licensed Veterinary Technician in Nevada or have the ability to obtain a Nevada License within 30 days. Alternatively, a Licensed Veterinary Technician in Training would be considered for the position.
· 1 year of prior experience working in a veterinary clinic or animal shelter preferred
· State of Nevada Veterinary Technician License or ability to obtain one within 30 days.
· Valid CA or NV Driver’s license and ability to pass Nevada Humane Society Motor Vehicle Report criteria. Current auto insurance.
· NHS is open seven days a week, as animals need daily care. Availability and a willingness to work a flexible schedule are a plus.
If this sounds like the role you are looking for, please review the full job posting on our website—nevadahumanesociety.org/employment—before applying.
Nevada Humane Society (NHS) is a charitable, non-profit organization and the only open-admission, no-kill shelter in the state of Nevada. Incorporated in 1932, it was originally created to address the suffering of local stray animals. In 2007, our Board of Directors changed the mission of the organization to one of lifesaving, promoting animal welfare while finding homes and providing care for homeless pets in Northern Nevada. In 2014, NHS expanded to include Carson City. In October 2016, we moved into a brand new shelter in Carson City, which will increase the number of lives saved in Northern Nevada. It’s an exciting time for homeless pets and animal lovers, as more than 100,000 animals have been placed into loving homes since our lifesaving mission began in 2007, and we are only continuing to grow.